Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Going Too Fast!

So, I don't know how many of you know this but last fall I purchased a longboard.  I absolutely love it but to be honest with you I am some what of a weak sauce when it comes to going fast. Just like Amber, as soon as I am unable to jump off of the board safely I am going too fast. I usually just stick to flat ground with minimal bumps, rocks, pot holes, or hills.  Which is practically impossible.  :) 

When I came home from school with my board Alexis decided that she also needed one because of how cool they are.  I was very excited  because having a longboard buddy to ride with me would be awesome.  

Once the weather got almost bearable I convinced Alexis to go for a ride with me.  After riding up and down the street in front of our house Alexis decided that we needed to travel a little farther and be a little more adventurous.  For those of you who have never been to Lind, all it is is one big hill.  You have to travel up hills or down hills to get anywhere.  

As we were riding Alexis decides that we should attempt to go down a fairly large hill.  I told her, "No WAY!!!" I was not about to go down such a big hill and we should either just walk down the hill or go home!! She smiled at me, called me a big wuss, and made her way down the hill.  When she was about half-way down the hill I realized she was serious about riding this hill and I had to make a decision.  But of course being the older sister I wasn't going to let her show me up, especially since I  was the one that bought the longboard first! 

I took a deep breath and jumped on my board.  The first half of the hill went really well.  I was gliding back and forth and feeling pretty good.  But after I passed the half way mark I could feel the board start to shake.  It was the kind of shake when you know you are going to wreck. My mind immediately began thinking of some ways to fix this situation.  I knew there was no way that I was going to be able to regain control of the board and if I stayed on it I was only going to gain more speed and the crash would be worse.  I decided the best plan of action would be to jump off and try to run... When I jumped off I was able to keep my footing for a couple steps but I wasn't fast enough.  It's been a long time since I have hit cement at such speeds, but I still managed to do a pretty affective tuck and roll. 

I walked away from the wreck with only a bruise and little scrap on my elbow, a sore shoulder, and a rip in my NEW coat.  To be honest I was more upset about the hole in my coat then the pain in my arm and shoulder.  Lol. Luckily no one saw it, including Lexi.
Maybe I will be tough and get past this wreck and try that hill again.... but I doubt it! 

2 comments:

  1. No one saw it...but then you blogged about it haha. That's awesome Lexi wants to be tough. But seriously there are so many REALLY REALLY bad accidents on long boards ALL OF THE TIME! Don't do crazy hills, haha.

    I'm glad you're ok!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We do not want to go through that again, it can be crazy serious. Ask Uncle Matt to show you his pictures of his "little" longboard accident, I just found them all and gave them to him. Ride smart! We love and miss you! G'pa

    ReplyDelete